Saturday 22 February 2014

Shot 38, 39 Dynamics

Shot 38 and 39 are Bagboy's 'Hero' Shots, the moment where he confidently proposes his love to Sofia with a heart shaped kite, with an abundance of swagger to boot!

Shot Layout:



I toyed with two similar yet different methods to achieve the effect of his tie waving and blowing in the wind. (This way the shot will not feel so bland)

So after the Tie is modelled and in position I applied the nCloth option to it as usual.

I then used the TRANSFORM nConstraint to Constrain the Tie around his Neck. This was very important.

Then I used Component to Component constraints on the separate parts of the Tie (The Tie is actually split into 3 separate meshes, the collar, the Triangular Knot, and the actual waving section.) This gives me total control over it.


So far:

The below video shows my progress, this is serviceable but it's still not really there, I need to get in there and tweak it a LOT.



I realised that the Tie was going all over the place, but I also realised the first 12 or so frames the wave looked pretty seamless, so I attempted to follow a tutorial for seamless nCloth simulation (this proved fruitless, but it was interesting)

In the below screenshots, I have used the Trax Editor to put out the first few frames of the nCloth simulation and attempted to just have those frames on repeat, in theory this saves render time and also gives you a lovely seamless loop






This method didn't quite work out for me, the movement of my Tie became automised almost and before I dwelled too long on this idea I had another. I decided to use a Force Field in Maya (Turbulence), to PUSH my nCloth in the direction of the wind, this would mean it would only flow in one direction.

After I set up my scene and applied the Force Field and also set that up I had to tweak my settings for a while, to achieve just the right effect and voila:




No comments:

Post a Comment