Friday 15 November 2013

3D Research - Making Modelling easier with Maya Bonus Tools


To make modelling the scene easier for Zoe, me and my tutor looked into a method in Maya.

Problem: The problem, is that seeing as the layout for the film is an exterior set in a farm/country environment there will be plenty of grass clumps, pebbles etc. Now it will take Zoe an extraneous amount of time to physically place every single element of the scene herself. So why not look for an easier method?

Solution: The solution is simple. Maya offer a 3D extension known as Maya Bonus Tools which I can install straight onto my machine. There is a function within this package which allows me to select a piece of geometry and then "Paint" Duplicates straight onto a mesh. So i'm going to go through step by step how the process works.



So I want to duplicate paint this cube onto this plane a couple of times.


In my Bonus Tools Menu I go to Modify and select Geometry Paint.


A window will pop up, and in this window I input the name of the geometry I want to paint in the "Geometry" section(in my case pCube1) and leave the identifier as Geom. There are many other settings available if I want to get more nitty gritty with my duplication.



And voila! I can now paint a multitude of cubes straight onto the plane just like that! Brilliant!


No comments:

Post a Comment