Thursday 12 December 2013

Maya Fur Grass Development


I have spent the last few weeks attempting to nail the look for Maya's Fur Grass to fit into my scene as I know there is SO much untapped potential there that can really pump up the scene. Fortunately I was right, my tutor suggested to look at some scene developments on the Pixelophy website and it finally made me realise what I had to do to get the look just right...


This is really starting to look beautiful!



Close up of the grass, note how it fits the style of cel shading!

These images from my newly created ammendments, if we compare this to the grass render tests I did at the start of the film pre prouction there is a humongous difference in quality and look, this feels so much more natural and far more beautiful for the scene.



This was great but I decided that my time and capabilities could only go so far right now, I have other things to do so I thought it be best to hand the scene over now to Mikey.

Update: Me and Mikey have been hard at work on the lighting and look of the film and you can see some great things happening on his blog on that side of things, meanwhile now that the grass is confirmed to definitely be used in the film (albeit cleverly and reservedly) I decided to create grass sections for the other side of the layout; Bagboy's Hill.


I tried to just straight up copy the grass settings that were on one side to the other side but this yielded poor results, the grass on the ranch side was full yet patchy in places, and this wasn't a perfect marriage for the geometry of the hill and such.


Even when I adjusted the baldness as a quick test very little difference was made, further testing will be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment