Sunday 27 October 2013

3D Research and Development - Bagboy Body Rig

For the character of Bagboy I decided that it would be best to use a pre-made rig, keep things simple.

The biggest reasoning behind this I have is that he is a character who for 99% of the film has a Paperbag over his head, and his stylisation comes from that very Paperbag, not exactly from his body.

So me and Laura decided that the Eleven Rig (http://elevenrig.blogspot.co.uk/), would be the best rig to use for a number of reasons;

1) Ease of Use
2) Childlike anatomy
3) Easy to customise

So without further ado, I began my research and development into this rig and how I would go about changing it.







So after looking at this rig and studying it's controls and familiarising myself with it I began playing around in Maya to find out the easiest way to access his geometry.


I figured out that the best way of doing it would be to duplicate the difficult to access Body_geo and then remove it from the Rig's grouping hierarchy. I then exported it as an obj file then imported that same obj file into my scene.


With some assistance from my tutor, we realised the easiest way to attach new geometry and make it work with the rig would be through a Deformer, the Wrap Deformer in particular.


So on my OBJ imported geometry file, I extracted some faces and created a vest like piece of geometry to attach onto the Eleven Rig.


After aligning it correctly with the rig and resizing it a little I then used the Wrap Deformer to Wrap Deform the Vest Geometry to the Body_Geo.




Result Shown Above: Success.


So I now took it further and decided to give him his shorts, I kept these quite tight and rolled up at the bottom to get away with not having to use nCloth (so the shorts don't look too stationary)


Just adjusting some geometry, then I wrap deform the Shorts to the Body_Geo


And once again...success!


I then gave these pieces of new geometry simple textures, changed the skin texture by adjusting the pre-made texture nodes in the Hypershade and stuck a simple Paper bag over the rigs head, and I'm actually starting to get something which resembles my final character!



No comments:

Post a Comment