Friday 25 October 2013

Concept Design - Pickup Truck

Previously, my Pickup Concept was rather realistic, not very exaggerated and pretty bland looking if I'll be honest. Prior to my discussion with Neil I had not considering what the car meant to the film, but just thought of it more as a prop, something to be used but not thought about. (How very wrong I was.)

The Previous design



My new design needs to have a bit more exaggeration and a bit more fun!

So I researched some blueprints of the classic 1990's Nissan Pickup Line;


I also looked at the Japanese Box Car, this was more to do with the fun shape grammar rather than the fact it was Japanese. I feel that if I got the feel of and inspiration from something fun and quirky I could then apply these same dynamics to my Pickup Truck Concept.


Now, obviously I need to get the shapes across but not NECESSARILY the "cuteness" of the design, as the cars in my film need to be very square, not too round at all and very rigid machines.





So I used shapes and lines to simplify it, and strip it down to the essentials and THEN rebuild it into something more fun, and a little bit quirky too; a lot like the film, without giving it too much cute factor.






The end design is something I was quite happy with and which received a good reception from the rest of my team, I decided to go fro a more hard edged look with the Pickup Truck and use fewer Round shapes as I still wanted to get a feel of the Pickup Truck's man-made emotion. It's mechanical, it's raw and it's a quite emotionless in a way as opposed to the natural elements of my film, or even the entire ranch across the fence.


A modelling assistant sheet...just in case!


UPDATE:

Amelia has finished modelling the Pickup Truck, below is the finished model.



No comments:

Post a Comment