Friday 25 October 2013

Art Style Change - Talk with Neil Housego

On Tuesday of this week, Neil Housego, one of my mentors and lecturers in Character Design, Concept Design and Animation was able to discuss with me and Laura the stylistic design and concept of our film On The Fence.

When discussing the entire film with Neil there were both positives and negatives. Let me start with the positive notes he gave to me;

+ The story has a lot of heart, and is strong. It's appealing and has that quirky dash of humour it needs to balance out the tone of the movie.

+ The characters and the motives work together, and have that classic complementary feel to them.

+ The Paperbag concept is very strong.

Overall the story, characters and the concept make the film work well, however....

- The visual design of the film is weak. Why am I going for real? Why am I not giving my film the stylised look that can give me liberties with the rendering, as well as make everything far more appealing?

- The character design of Sofia is extremely weak. It's flat, bland, too even and will (i quote) be a "car crash" when translated into 3D. The design itself has no character also.

- The layout also has no meaning, no shape grammar, no emotion.

So no points for visual design sadly, but I am glad I was able to have this informative chat with Neil as this week I have spent much time mulling over my visual style this week and I have to say currently my visual design is depressingly flat. Since Tuesday i have totally reworked my style and given it flair and oomph!

Also I have been working closely with Laura and directing her in creating a new Character Design from the ground up which has been difficult, exciting, frustrating and stressful all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment