Friday 25 October 2013

Layout Development

After my discussion with Neil I realised that my Layout would need to be reconsidered and re-developed upon instantly.


My current layout was DEFINITELY too flat, and needed some serious sprucing up. With my developed Set Props in mind (Barn, Pickup Truck, Tree Wind-pump) it meant I had a specific route set out for myself, and I just needed to give the landscape that little extra dash of cooky-ness.

I first created some quick sketches on paper of the sort of Layout I could see working for this film.



In this first image there's a real sense of shape and curve, and the contrast I have kept through the drawing of the fence separating everything that is "rounded" and "whole" from everything that is "square" and "straight" is something I really want to take forward. 


Likewise, with everything on Bagboy's side of the fence being straight and square, I felt the hill and cars should also keep up this motif.




Using simple shapes to plan out what the Background Trees on each side of the Layout will look like. Sofia's side needs to be very round and bubbly, whilst Bagboy's very square and blocky!




I then took this process to Photoshop where I began creating flat colour views.


After consideration, I realised that this felt still a little flat compared to what I wanted out of this layout, the horizon line of the hill seemed a little too even.


However I was quite happy with how this side looked, the loneliness that surrounds the hill is done purposely, it just reflects well with Bagboy and his character!


So I went back into Photoshop and updated the first view, however it still felt a little off the horizon line was too straight and prominent.


This was much better, as it subtly gave the ranch foreground a sense of arc without making it too rounded. Just to breakup the horizon a bit.

This is a layout flat side view which will give my Layout modeler some information on scale, size and shape!


I then decided to take things into Maya, where I tend to be able to work faster and better. I developed things there.






The layout is DEFINITELY progressing well now,  and as you can see Zoe my 3D modeller has modelled the Wind Pump and the Barn and they look great in my scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment