Friday 25 October 2013

Concept Design - Oak Tree

One of the central pieces to my layout is the Oak Tree, so I feel that's the best place to start as it's one of the biggest pieces in my set and one that can convey quite a fair deal of emotion.

First I researched numerous Oak Tree Images.







One of the key things I noticed with the Oak Tree was how it is so expansive and it's shape is almost bubble like.


Quite a "mushroom-ey" shape in a way.

The actual foliage section of the oak tree is like a large dome, and this circular shape has exciting appeal, so I had the idea of shaping things up a bit.






As you can see I went through quite a development to get to the final concept. Me and Laura decided that an Autumn feel will work well for this film. The colours of Autumn will allow for some variation in the scene's palette (an example here being the tree, as an orange tree will be more defined in the vast green landscape rather than a fully fledged green tree), and Autumn's red's and oranges sit well with the love story of the film.

With the Tree itself I'm designing it like a bubble, like it's Sofia's bubble. And it's the very balance of a gentle life that is utterly and totally invaded by Bagboy on one regular day. 




Update: Since this piece was completed a while back (when I hadn't quite gotten the hang of painting in Photoshop), I decided to revisit the concept for a cleanup and better colour design.


Much better!





No comments:

Post a Comment